Part of the campus Martius in Rome; according to the Constantinian regionaries, it was located in regio VII to the right of the via Flaminia and north of the aqua Virgo; originally belonging to Agrippa, it was given to the Roman people by Augustus in 7 BC (Cass. Dio 55,8). According to one of the fragments of the acta fratrum Arvalium from AD 38, it was also the location of the Tiberian ara Providentiae.
F. Coarelli, in: LTUR 1, 217
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Förtsch, Reinhard (Cologne),
“Campus Agrippae”, in:
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 16 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e226020>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510