Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 23 of 36 |

Campus Martius
(555 words)

[German version]

(Field of Mars). Tract of land in Rome, shaped like an irregular quadrangle, between the Palazzo Venezia, S. Carlo al Corso, the Ponte Vittorio Emanuele, and the Piazza Cairoli. According to legend, with the foundation of the Republic, the campus Martius (CM) passed from Tarquinian (Dion. Hal. 5,13,2) to public ownership (Liv. 2,5,2; Plut. Poblicola 8,1). The level terrain, not fragmented by private property, was predestined for monumental architecture for public or representative purposes, as in Strabo's (5,3,8). desc…

Cite this page
Förtsch, Reinhard (Cologne), “Campus Martius”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 08 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e226030>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲