(Κάνηθος; Kánēthos). Hill on the mainland, which at the time of Alexander the Great was integrated into the fortifications of the town of Chalcis, modern Kara Baba; the site had previously served as a necropolis. Documentary evidence: Str. 9,2,8; 10,1,8; Theophr. Hist. pl. 8,8,5; schol. Apoll. Rhod. 1,77.
Philippson/Kirsten, vol. 1, 409, 602.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Kalcyk, Hansjörg (Petershausen),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 16 February 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e608140>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510