Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Can(n)a
(88 words)

[German version]

(Κάν[ν]α; Kán[n]a). Town in eastern Lycaonia, modern Beşağıl (formerly Gene), east of  Iconium on the road from Amorium to the Cilician Gates [1. 100f., 185]. Seen by Ptol. 5,6,15 as part of Lycaonia (within Cappadocia). From AD 381 at the latest, there was a diocese in Lycaonia (suffragan of Iconium), which continued to exist into the 12th cent. [1. 185]. Inscriptions, amongst those two which bear the town's name, are extant from the 2nd cent. AD [2] onwards.

Bibliography

1 Belke

2 MAMA 8, XIII, 38-40.

Cite this page
Belke, Klaus (Vienna), “Can(n)a”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 24 February 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e608180>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲