Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 39 of 225 |

Celaetha
(108 words)

[German version]

(Κελαίθα; Kelaítha). Town, according to a list of theorodokoi from Delphi from the 2nd cent. BC, located near  Cierium and Metropolis in south-western Thessaly. Probably not identical with the vicus Celathara which the Aetolians seized and plundered in the course of their raid into Dolopia and southern Thessaly in 198 BC (Liv. 32,13,12f.). In contrast, Kelaíthra is documented as a Boeotian town ‘near Arne’ (presumably more likely Cierium in Thessaly) (Steph. Byz. s.v. Κελαίθρα).

Bibliography

B. Helly, Incursions chez les Dolop…

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Celaetha”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 25 October 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e611750>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲