(Κεραία; Κεραῖαι; Keraía, Keraîai). Town on Crete in the north-west of the island, of undetermined location between Lappa and Polyrrhenia (Steph. Byz. s.v. Βήνη). In the Lyttian War (220 v.Chr.), C. -- together with other Cretan towns -- seceded from Cnossus and Gortyn (Pol. 4,53,6). In 183 BC, it was one of the Cretan towns to enter an alliance with Eumenes II of Pergamum [1. 179].
1 M. Guarducci (ed.), Inscriptiones Creticae IV, 1950.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Sonnabend, Holger (Stuttgart),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 22 January 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e612770>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510