Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 29 of 149 |

Ceramus
(281 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Delian League

(Κέραμος; Kéramos). Town in south-western Caria on the northern coast of the gulf named after C. (Κεράμειος or Κεραμικὸς κόλπος; Kerámeios/Keramikòs kólpos, sinus Ceramicus; modern Gökova körfezi), removed from the coast by the delta formation of the -- in the end subterranean -- Koca Çay (Str. 14,2,15), modern Kemerdere near Ören (Plin. HN 5,109; Ptol. 5,2,10; Paus. 6,13,3f.). Originally Carian, it was Hellenized from the 6th cent. BC (archaic kouros head, c. 540/530 [1]); in 454/3 BC, it was a member of the  Del…

Cite this page
Kaletsch, Hans (Regensburg), “Ceramus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 27 January 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e612890>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲