(Χάβον; Chábon). Scythian fortress ‘in the middle of the land of the Scythians’ (IOSPE 12, 352,13; 29), built by Scilurus and his sons (Str. 7,4,3); served as a base against Mithridates VI; one of his generals, Diophantus, forced the Scythians to surrender C. (Str. 7,4,4).
V. F. Gajdukevič, Das Bosporanische Reich, 1971, 309.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
von Bredow, Iris (Bietigheim-Bissingen) and
Tokhtas'ev, Sergej R. (St. Petersburg),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 15 January 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e230850>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510