(Χάλκη; Chálkē). Island off the north coast of Rhodes (29 km2). The polis of C. (remains of acropolis, temple to Apollo, necropolis) belonged to Rhodian Camirus. During the 5th cent. BC a member of the Delian League.
P. M. Fraser, G. E. Bean, The Rhodian Peraea and Islands, 1954, 144f.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Sonnabend, Holger (Stuttgart),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 22 June 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e231150>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510