Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 157 of 232 |

Cippus
(273 words)

[German version]

As a stone monument with or without inscription, the cippus was used in particular for territorial delineation. Made as a free-standing sculpture, it marked burial sites and was linked as reference to the dead to magical ideas and should not be confused with steles. The basic form was phallic, 30-50 cm high and it was represented in diverse ways especially in Etruria ( Etruscan Archaeology). Mostly onions, spheres or eggs top a pillar or cylinder. Special regional types in the 6th cent. BC are warrior heads (Orvieto) and cubes in relief with…

Cite this page
Neudecker, Richard (Rome), “Cippus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 07 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e234750>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲