Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Clarus
(162 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Oracles

(Κλᾶρος; Klâros). Ionian sanctuary of  Apollo Klarios (since the protogeometric period, 10th cent. BC) with oracle (flowering 2nd cent. AD) in the territory of  Colophon, on the coastal plain of Ahmetbeyli. Well attested in literature and epigraphy (cf. h. Hom. ad Apollinem 1,40; h. Hom. ad Dianam 5; Thuc. 3,33; Str. 14,1,27; Paus. 7,3; Iambl. Myst. 3,11; Aristid. 3,317 Jebb; Tac. Ann. 2,54,2f.: Germanicus in C. in AD 18). Archaeological remains: round altar (2…

Cite this page
Olshausen, Eckart (Stuttgart) and de la Genière, Juliette (Nevilly-sur-Seine), “Clarus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 06 June 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e614470>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲