Small river in Umbria, tributary of the Tiberis, modern Timia. The sources of the C. (between Spoletium and Fulginiae below Trebiae) were made famous by Plin. Ep. 8,8; Caligula and Honorius visited them; they were surrounded by chapels for the god of the same name and other oracle deities, taken care of by the citizens of Hispellum; sacraria of a statio of the via Flaminia (It. Burd. 613); villae in the surrounding area. In S. Salvatore de Piscina (6th cent. AD) reused stones and inscriptions have been used in buildings (CIL II 4963).
Cite this pageUggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Clitumnus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 16 September 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e301640>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲