Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Condylum
(83 words)

[German version]

(Κόνδυλον; Kóndylon). Fortification in the southern Olympus on a bypass around the valley of the Tempe that runs through  Gonnus, probably to be equated with Gonnocondylus, and located near modern Tsurba-Mandria. When Philip V released Perrhaebia in 196 BC, he kept C. with the place name Olympias until 185 (Liv. 39,25,16). A garrison of Perseus was stationed in C. in 169 BC during the Third Macedonian War.

Bibliography

B. Helly, Gonnoi, 1973, Index

F. Stählin, Das hellenische Thessalien, 1924, 8f.

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Condylum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 08 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e619490>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲