Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 118 of 548 |

Corinth, Gulf of
(399 words)

[German version]

(Κορινθιακὸς κόλπος; Korinthiakòs Kólpos). According to Str. 8,2,3, the Gulf of C. (the eastern section of which is today called Gulf of C., the western section ‘Gulf of Patras’ [Πατραϊκὸς κόλπος], was held to begin at the estuary of the Achelous or the Evenus on the coast of central Greece and Araxus (today the Cape of the same name Ἄκρα Ἄραξος) on the Peloponnesian coast, at a width of 10 km and a maximum depth of 133 m. The two coastlines approach each other at Antirrhion and Rhion to within c. 2 km (ancient reckoning: 5 stadia/ 925 m, Str. loc. cit.; maximum 7 stadia/1295…

Cite this page
Olshausen, Eckart (Stuttgart), “Corinth, Gulf of”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 16 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e620330>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲