(Κρομμυών or Κρεμμυών). Fortified port in the East of Corinthian territory on the Saronian Gulf south of the Gerania mountains, 120 stadia (c. 21 km) from Corinth (Thuc. 4,45,1), probably near modern Hagios Theodori. According to legend Theseus killed the Crommyonian sow there. In the Classical period Crommyon was fortified. Evidence: Scyl. 55; Str. 8,6,22; Paus. 2,1,3; Xen. Hell. 4,4,13; 5,19; Steph. Byz. s.v. Κrommyon; Hierocles, Synekdemos 645,14. Epigraphy: IG IV 195f.
Cite this pageLafond, Yves (Bochum), “Crommyon”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 26 November 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e623560>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲