Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 211 of 430 |

Cypsela
(125 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Byzantium

(Κύψελα; Kýpsela, Cypsala). Inland Thracian town on the lower left bank of the  Hebrus at the via Egnatia (Str. 7,7,4), in a very marshy area (Str. 7,7,4; 6; 7a,1,9f.; 48; 57), mod. Ipsala. In the 4th cent. BC, C. was residence and mint of the  Odrysae dynasty. Because it was in Ptolemaic possession, the town was besieged by  Antiochus [3] II in 254 BC (Polyaenus, Strat. 4,16); in c. 200 BC, it was taken by Philip V. In 188 BC, Cn. Manlius Vulso was attacked by Thracians near C. In the Byzantine perio…

Cite this page
von Bredow, Iris (Bietigheim-Bissingen), “Cypsela”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 25 July 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e626560>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲