Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Daphnus
(113 words)

[German version]

(Δαφνοῦς; Daphnoûs). Port of the Locri Epicnemidii (Str. 9,3,17; Plin. HN. 4,27), today known as Agios Konstantinos, situated on the coastal plain of Longus on the Euboean Gulf. From the time of the first Sacred War (c. 590 BC) the entire coastal strip belonged to the Phocians (Scyl. 61; Str. 9,3,1), who secured an access to the Aegean Sea via D. After the third Sacred War D. was returned to Locris in 346 BC. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 426 BC (Str. 1,3,20).

Bibliography

J. M. Fossey, The Ancient Topography of Opountian Lokris, …

Cite this page
Daverio Rocchi, Giovanna (Milan), “Daphnus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 19 January 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e310950>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲