(Δασκοῦσα; Daskoûsa). City and fortress on the Euphrates limes in Cappadocia (strategia Melitene) on the border to Armenia minor (Plin. HN 5,84; 6,27; Oros. 1,2,23; Ptol. 5,6,19; 21 erroneously distinguishes D. and Dagusa), later counted as part of Armenia II, on the Satala-Melitene road (It. Ant. 209,3), located near Ağın, Elazığ. In the 4th cent., the Ala Auriana is stationed there (Not. Dign. Or. 38,22). Fortified settlement hill and late-antique fortress (Pağnık Öreni) [1; 2; 3]. The military camp was established in AD 80/82 .
Cite this pageStrobel, Karl (Klagenfurt), “Dascusa”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 18 January 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e311440>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲