Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Delminium
(304 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

(Delminenses, Delminum). Main town of the Dalmatae: Ptol. 2,16,11; App. Ill. 11; Florus 2,25; CIL III 3202; the name D. is possibly derived from the Albanian word delme, ‘sheep’. Strabo (Délmion, 7,5,5) describes D. as a large city from which the people derived its name. In 156 BC, D. was besieged by C. Marcius Figulus. In 155 BC it was defeated and destroyed by P. Cornelius Scipio Nasica (cf. Strabo's pedíon mēlóboton; triumph over the Delmatae; ancient sources in [1. 448]). Up to now the ruins of D. were located…

Cite this page
Šašel Kos, Marjeta (Ljubljana), “Delminium”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 22 August 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e313400>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲