Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 39 of 69 |

Deva
(180 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

| Legio | Limes | Limes | Britannia

Modern Chester. Legionary camp, originally set up for the legio II Adiutrix in c. AD 75 [1] as a wooden/earthen fort, with baths (stone); water pipes of lead date the completion to AD 79. The legio XX Valeria Victrix took over the camp in c. AD 86/7. The rebuilding in stone began in c. AD 102. A large amphitheatre situated outside the walls was constructed in the 2nd cent. [2]. West of the camp on the bank of the Dee is a mooring place. The fortress wall was renovated …

Cite this page
Todd, Malcolm (Exeter), “Deva”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 12 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e316050>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲