Mesopotamian town on the right bank of the Euphrates, not far from modern Hı̄t, exact location unknown. Amm. Marc. 24,2,3 and Zos. 3,15,2 (here variation Δάκιρα, Dákira) report on the destruction of the town situated in Sassanid territory and the rich booty in the battles of the Romans on the eastern border of the empire against the Sassanid empire under Julian (AD 363). According to Zosimus, the surrounding area had asphalt resources. The form of the name is Aramaic (analyzed as di/d and qı̄rā ‘[place] of asphalt’, aqı̄rā would be expected).
Cite this pageOelsner, Joachim (Leipzig), “Diacira”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 05 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e316300>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲