(Dibio). An important centre where trade routes crossed at the confluence of the Saône and the Ouche, on the boundary between the civitates of the Lingones and the Aedui, now Dijon. The castrum Divionense described by Gregory of Tours in his History of the Franks 3,19 was built in the 3rd cent. near the road from Lyons to the Rhine frontier.
E. Frézouls, Les villes antiques de la France II, 1, 1988, 179-274
C. Rolley, s.v. D., PE, 278.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 27 July 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e321770>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510