‘Twelve mile land’, term in the Graeco-Roman period (Ptol. 4,5,74 and Hdt. 2,29) for the c. 135 km long northern sector of Nubia between Syene and Takompso (Tqmps)/Hierosycaminus (al-Maharraqa)  that was transferred by the rulers to the temple of Isis at Philae mainly for the levy of taxes on the transport of goods. In a stone stele at Seḥel claiming to date back to the Old Kingdom, but in fact probably from the time of Ptolemy V, the priesthood of the Chnum temple at Elephantine claims older rights to this region .
Cite this pageSeidlmayer, Stephan Johannes (Berlin), “Dodekaschoinos”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 28 February 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e321920>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲