Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 35 of 36 |

Domus Laterani
(188 words)

[German version]

In the written sources an aedes Lateranorum by Plautius Lateranus, the designated consul of the year 65, is attested in Rome during the Neronian period (Juv. 10,15,18; more regarding location near the Lateran basilica later: Jer. Ep. 77,4). An aedes Laterani (Ps.-Aur. Vict. Epit. 20,6) was created when Septimius Severus donated the aedes Parthorum to his senior commander T. Sextius Lateranus (PIR1 S 469). Three water pipelines (CIL XV 7536) bearing the names of Sextius Lateranus and his brother Sextius Torquatus (PIR1 S 478) were found in 1595 near the Lateran…

Cite this page
Förtsch, Reinhard (Cologne), “Domus Laterani”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 07 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e323120>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲