Town on the northern shore of the Gulf of Malia
Town on the northern shore of the Gulf of Malia near today's village of Achino. Originally part of the Achaea Phthiotis, Echinus was granted by Philippus II to the Malieis in 342 with whom E. belonged to the Aetolian league from c. 235. In 210, E. was conquered by Philippus V (Pol. 9,41; ) who refused to return it to the Aetolians; after 193, the Romans conqu…
Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim),
Strauch, Daniel (Berlin) and
Höcker, Christoph (Kissing),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 17 November 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e326030>