Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 3 of 32 |

Elephantine
(358 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Egypt | India, trade with | Egypt

(Egypt. bw, ‘elephant’ or ‘ivory island’). Island at the northern end of the first cataract of the Nile; the settlement on its southern tip [1] dates back to late prehistoric times. During the 1st dynasty, a fortress was built in this border region between Egypt and Nubia; at the time of the Old Kingdom, it was extended into a fortified town. From then on, E. was the capital of the first Upper Egyptian nome and its so…

Cite this page
Seidlmayer, Stephan Johannes (Berlin), “Elephantine”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 26 November 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e329100>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲