(Ἐλευθεραί; Eleutheraí). A settlement of Boeotian origins on the pass-route across Mt. Cithaeron from Eleusis  to Thebes, near the mod. Kaza; after the cult of Dionysus Eleuthereus was relocated from E. to the southern slopes of the Acropolis in Athens  in the 2nd half of the 6th cent. BC, it belonged to Attica, without, however, ever forming an independent dḗmos; Source references: Eur. Supp. 757ff.; Xen. Hell. 5,4,14; Str. 9,2,31; Plin. HN 4,26; Paus. 1,38,8f.; Arr. Anab. 1,7,9; Ath. 11,48…
Cite this page
Funke, Peter (Münster),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 16 January 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e329210>