Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 140 of 231 |

Elyrus
(152 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Crete

(Ἔλυρος; Élyros). Extensive urban settlement in south-western Crete (Steph. Byz. s.v. E.) near Rodovani east of Kandans. Archaeological data: some Roman ruins (town walls, theatre, aqueduct). Syia was Elyrus' port (Steph. Byz. s.v.). It is possible that E. belonged to the koinon of the western Cretan Oreioi, who probably entered an alliance with Magas of Cyrene between 280 and 250 BC [1. 1; 2. 468]; from 183 BC, it was part of the alliance of thirty-one Cretan cities with Eumenes…

Cite this page
Sonnabend, Holger (Stuttgart), “Elyrus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e329720>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲