Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 3 of 95 |

Esna
(194 words)

[German version]

(Old Egytpian Jwnyt, later (T)-Snj). Place in Upper Egypt, c. 60 km south of Luxor on the western bank of the Nile. Named in Greek λάτων (πόλις) after the latus fish, much venerated in cult practice. Today's city E. stands on the old settlement, therefore only the temple (9 m beneath today's level) is accessible. The first reference to E. comes from the 1st intermediate period; E. did not become significant, however, until the New Kingdom as the departure point for a caravan route to Nubia. The principal deity was the ram Chnum ( Chnubis), whose temple is E.'s most sig…

Cite this page
Jansen-Winkeln, Karl (Berlin), “Esna”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 17 September 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e402570>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲