Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 8 of 181 |

Eudoxias
(77 words)

[German version]

(Εὐδοξιάς; Eudoxiás). City of Galatia II, named after the wife of Arcadius or the daughter of Theodosius II, probably Hamamkarahisar (Arslani [1. 447-464]) at the foot of the  Dindymum ([2. 129] incorrectly attributes this area to Germia); documented to have been a bishopric from 451 onwards (Hierocles, 698,2).

Bibliography

1 M. Waelkens, Germa, Germokoloneia, Germia, in: Byzantion 49, 1979

2 Mitchell 2.

K. Belke, Germia und E., in: W. Hörandner et al., Byzantios. FS H. Hunger, 1984

Belke, 163.

Cite this page
Strobel, Karl (Klagenfurt), “Eudoxias”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 31 March 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e404340>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲