(Εὔρωμος; Eurōmos). Town in the Carian interior (Str. 14,1,8; 2,22; Steph. Byz. s.v. E.; Plin. HN 5,109), 22 km south of the former Gulf of Latmia (the modern Bafa or Çamiçi gölü), 3 km south of Selimiye at the northern end of the Mylasa plateau; today's Ayaklı. In the 5th cent. as H(K)yromos a member of the Delian League. The town was probably not called E., often also Eúropos, until after the 4th cent. BC. Sympolitically linked with its περιπόλιοι (peripólioi, ‘neighbouring towns’…
Cite this page
Kaletsch, Hans (Regensburg),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 24 January 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e406170>