Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 10 of 281 |

Ferentis, Ferentium
(287 words)

[German version]

Town in southern Etruria (regio VII), attested in the 8th/6th cents. BC on an outlier of the Poggio San Francesco (305 m), modern Ferento, 9 km north of Viterbo, on an elevation between eastern tributaries of the Tiber. In the Roman period relocated to the Northeast on the other side of the river (306 m; Pianicara). Its territory was distributed under the Gracchi [1. 216]; municipium, tribus Stellatina. The gens Salvia as well as Otho (Tac. Hist. 2,50; Suet. Otho 1,1) and Flavia Domitilla (Suet. Vesp. 3) came from F. The town decayed in the late…

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Ferentis, Ferentium”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 12 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e410820>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲