City on the Tyrrhenian coast in South Etruria (regio VII) at the mouth of the Aro, which drains the lacus Sabatinus. Half-way (9 miles from Ostia and Alsium) between the via Portuensis and the via Aurelia (It. Ant. 300), modern Maccarese. In 245 BC, a colonia of Roman citizens (Liv. per. 19; Vell. Pat. 1,14,8). Inscriptions: CIL XI p. 549.
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 20 February 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e414730>