Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Fundi
(315 words)

[German version]

Town of the Aurunci in Latium adiectum at the foot of the montes Fundani (Tac. Ann. 4,59) on the via Appia between Tarracina and Formiae, 74 miles from Rome, modern Fondi (Latina). In 338 or 332 BC together with  Formiae civitas sine suffragio (Liv. 8,14,10; Vell. Pat. 1,14,4), F. then sided with the Privernati (Liv. 8,19). In 188 BC F. and Formiae belonged to the tribus Aemilia (cum suffragio); F. was a praefectura; in 174 it obtained an aqueduct through the Roman censores (Liv. 41,27,11). F. was a municipium with three aediles and had a cult of Hercules. Under Augustus F. was a c…

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Fundi”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 04 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e416420>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲