Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Gadara
(263 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Syria | Theatre | Hasmonaeans | Pilgrimage | Pompeius

(modern Umm Qais). Town in north-eastern Transjordania, east of Lake Gennesareth; traces of settlement date back to the 7th cent. BC. After the fall of the Achaemenid kingdom ( Achaemenids), the district of G. came under the control of the Ptolemies for a short period, but became part of the Seleucid kingdom under  Antiochus [5] III in 198 BC. For some time, the name of the town appears on coins as Seleucea or Antioch. Under Roman supremacy from 63 BC, …

Cite this page
Leisten, Thomas (Princeton), “Gadara”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 19 June 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e417410>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲