Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 32 of 111 |

Gargara, Gargaris
(240 words)

[German version]

(Γάργαρα, Γαργαρίς; Gárgara, Gargarís), town in Aeolis on the 780 m high crest of Koca Kaya, a western extension of the Ida range (Hom. Il. 8,48; 14,292; 14,352 Γάργαρον ἄκρον; Plin. HN 5,122 Gargara mons). Founded by Assus (Str. 13,1,58) and inhabited by Leleges (EM s.v. Γ.; Steph. Byz. s.v. Γ.), G. already existed in the mid-6th cent. BC, as temple finds on the acropolis indicate [1]. G. is mentioned in the Attic tribute lists with an amount of 4,500 drachmes. When the, probably only partial, resettlement to a …

Cite this page
Schwertheim, Elmar (Münster), “Gargara, Gargaris”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 10 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e419000>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲