Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Gaurium
(105 words)

[German version]

(Γαύρειον, Γαύριον; Gaúreion, Gaúrion). The name of a settlement with a deep harbour on the north-western side of the island of Andros in the Cyclades. In the Hellenistic period, G. served as a port and is mentioned in association with various events in wars: Xen. Hell. 1,4,22; Diod. Sic. 13,69,4f.; Liv. 31,45,3ff.; GGM 1,500. Inland at Hagios Petros are the remains of a Hellenistic round tower, probably used to protect the nearby mines.

Bibliography

J. T. Bent, Aegean Islands, 21966, 291ff.

Lauffer, Griechenland, 230

L. Ross, Reisen…

Cite this page
Kalcyk, Hansjörg (Petershausen), “Gaurium”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 16 October 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e419620>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲