Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 39 of 149 |

Gerga
(269 words)

[German version]

(Γέργα; Gérga). Village in northern  Caria, south-east of Eskiçine on the Marsyas [4], near Incekemer (formerly Gâvurdamları). The name G. (also Gergas, G. kṓmē) is to be found many times in uniquely large clumsy Greek (on one occasion also Latin) letters on boulders, rock stelae hewn in a pyramid shape and idol-like colossal statues (fragmentary) in the vicinity of a small temple (?) built of solid granite blocks, on the temple itself and carved into one of the low well-houses (?). Several parts that h…

Cite this page
Kaletsch, Hans (Regensburg), “Gerga”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e12222190>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲