Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 12 of 19 |

Germanicopolis
(89 words)

[German version]

(Γερμανικόπολις; Germanikópolis, Hierocles, Synekdemos 710,2). City in Isauria, modern Ermenek, 67 km north of  Anemurium, probably founded by  Antiochus [18] IV of Commagene [1. 960f.]. G. played a leading role in the Isaurian wars of the 4th cent. AD (Amm. Marc. 27,9,7). G. is attested as a diocese from the middle of the 5th cent. Parts of a necropolis are preserved in the north of the modern city [2].

Bibliography

1 D. Stiernon, L. Stiernon, s.v. Germanicopolis, DHGE 20, 1984, 960-964

2 H. Hellenkemper, F. Hild, s.v. G., TIB 5, 1990.

Cite this page
Tomaschitz, Kurt (Vienna), “Germanicopolis”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 27 July 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e422540>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲