(Γλαφύραι; Glaphýrai). The catalogue of ships of the Iliad (Hom. Il. 2,711ff.) mentions the town together with Boebe and Iolcus. Its mythological founder was Glaphyros, son of Magnes and father of Boibos. In historical time, the ethnic term Γλαφυρεύς (Glaphyreús) is documented for officials from Demetrias . Therefore, it can be assumed that G. existed until the Hellenistic period, although Str. 9,15,5 does not mention G. at the Synoikismos for Demetrias. The exact location of G. at the southern bank of the former Boebe Lake is not certain.
Cite this pageKramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Glaphyrae”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 10 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e424710>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲