Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: Prev | 1 of 4 |

Glevum
(216 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

| Coloniae | Britannia

The region around Gloucester, located at the lowest lying crossing-point over the Severn, was first occupied by the Roman army in c. AD 50. A legion base was erected in Kingsholm, probably by the legio XX Valeria Victrix [1]; this was abandoned in c. AD 60 and replaced towards the end of the rulership of Nero by a fortress on the ground of modern Gloucester, which itself was abandoned in c. AD 74/5. On the grounds of the fortress, the colonia Glevum was founded using the fortress' building materials, appa…

Cite this page
Todd, Malcolm (Exeter), “Glevum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 05 June 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e425170>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲