Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 71 of 263 |

Grac(c)urris
(125 words)

[German version]

Town in the upper Ebro valley; precise location unknown. In 179 BC founded as a Gracchuris by Tib. Sempronius Gracchus in place of the Iberian town of Ilurcis (Liv. Epitome 41; Festus p. 86,5). G. is mentioned later in the war against Sertorius in 76 BC (Liv. Epitome 41). Pliny (HN 3,24) names G. among the oppida Latii veteris of the conventus of Caesaraugusta. There are no inscriptions, but G. appears on several coins from the time of Tiberius as a municipium [1. 113f.]. Later G. is no longer mentioned.

Bibliography

1 A. Vives, La moneda hispánic…

Cite this page
Barceló, Pedro (Potsdam), “Grac(c)urris”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 29 November 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e427090>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲