Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 45 of 79 |

Grand
(338 words)

[German version]

Far from any significant roads on the inhospitable high plateau between Marne and Maas (Mosa) (Dept. Vosges), G. owed its existence to a forest sanctuary of the Leuci of interregional importance. After the Roman conquest, the healing god  Grannus, who had been absorbed by the Apollo cult (Claudius Marius Victor, Alethia 3,204-209), gave his name to the new vicus (AE 1937, 55). Laid out orthogonally, G. was enclosed by a circular pomerium (‘sacred city boundary’), today voie close; inside, there is an 18-ha. precinct surrounded by an irregular, six-sided en…

Cite this page
Schön, Franz (Regensburg), “Grand”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 28 July 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e427320>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲