Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Graviscae
(296 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Umbri, Umbria | Coloniae | Etrusci, Etruria

A harbour town on the Etruscan coast south of the mouth of the Marta, connected to the via Aurelia by a byway; known today as Porto Clementino (municipality of Tarquinia). Commercial trading post for Tarquinii, prone to malaria (Cato Orig. 2: 46). In 181 BC, it becomes a Roman colonia, Tribus Stellatina, whose territory was divided into parcels of land of five iugera; later colonia Augusta, regio VII. Wine production and trade in red coral (Plin. HN 14, 67; 32, 21). Destroy…

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Graviscae”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 24 November 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e427660>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲