Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 47 of 225 |

Gyrton(e)
(205 words)

[German version]

(Γυρτών[η]; Gyrtṓn[ē]). Lapithae from G. appear both in the Argonaut legend ( Argonautae; Apoll. Rhod. 1,57) and in The Iliad (Hom. Il. 2,738). The town originally belonged to Perrhaebia, but in historical times was an important place of the Thessalian Pelasgiotis. In 431 BC among the Thessalian reinforcement troops for Athens there was also a contingent from G. (Thuc. 2,22). In 215 at the behest of Philip V at least 60 Gyrtonians became citizens of the neighbouring  Larisa (IG IX 2, 517). In 191 and 171 the town resisted the sieges of Antiochus [5] III …

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Gyrton(e)”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e500880>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲