Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 42 of 181 |

Helenopolis
(65 words)

[German version]

Place at the exit of the Gulf of Astacus in Bithynia, originally Drepanon, modern Altinova. Birthplace of  Helena [2], elevated to a city in her honour by Constantine [1] and extended by Justinian (Amm. Marc. 26,8,1; Procop. Aed. 5,2).

Bibliography

R. Janin, Les églises et les monastères des grands centres byzantins, 1975, 97f.

W. Ruge, s.v. Drepanon (4), RE 5, 1687.

Cite this page
Strobel, Karl (Klagenfurt), “Helenopolis”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 18 February 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e506190>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲