300 km south of Cairo on the western bank of the Nile, Egyptian Ḫmnw, ‘Town of the eight’, after a group of four pairs of ancient gods, modern al-Ašmunein, Greek Hermupolis magna (HM) after Hermes Trismegistus, who was worshipped there and was equated with the town god Thot. In the sacred precinct there are remains of the temples of the Pantheon of HM from the middle kingdom to the Roman Imperial period. Under the Ptolemies and Romans HM again experienced a period of flourishing. From the Coptic period, remains of a settlement and a basilica (5th cent. AD) are preserved.
Hermupolis (magna)(113 words)
Cite this pageGrieshammer, Reinhard (Heidelberg), “Hermupolis (magna)”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 18 September 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e510970>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲