(Ὕκκαρα; Hýkkara). Sicanian town in the northwest of Sicily; a few remains near the sea north of modern Carini (compare the two place names), west of Palermo. H. was conquered in 415 BC by the Athenians who were allied to Segesta  and its inhabitants were enslaved ( Peloponnesian War D.). The hetaera Lais  was among the captives (Plut. Alcibiades 39; Ath. 13,588c).
Cite this pageManganaro, Giacomo (Sant' Agata li Battiata), “Hykkara”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 23 June 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e12222840>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲