Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 5 of 6 |

Ioniapolis
(143 words)

[German version]

(Ἰωνιάπολις; Iōniápolis). Milesian harbour town on the south bank of the former Latmian Gulf, modern Bafa Gölü. Material from the nearby marble quarries was shipped via this harbour to build the Temple of Apollo at  Didyma. Many Didymaean column drums within a settlement of late antiquity are preserved on the shore and in the water near Pınarcık Yayla (formerly Mersinet Iskelesi). The ancient harbour is assumed to have been further out to sea, as the water level has risen. The name is handed down in two Hellenistic…

Cite this page
Peschlow-Bindokat, Anneliese (Berlin), “Ioniapolis”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 16 June 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e526480>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲