This item can be found on the following maps:
| Legio | Limes | Limes | Britannia
Roman legionary camp set up c. AD 74 in Britannia, modern Caerleon (South Wales). The legio II Augusta was stationed there [1; 2]. In about AD 100 the fortifications were renewed in stone, followed by the internal buildings. An amphitheatre has been excavated outside the walls of the camp and likewise wharf constructions on the banks of the Usk [3; 4]. After 300 the garrison was reduced and in the 4th cent. completely withdrawn. From the 2nd cent. an extensive vicus developed.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Todd, Malcolm (Exeter),
“Isca Silurum”, in:
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 17 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e527610>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510